DISCLOSURE-This post contains affiliate links!
There is something so powerful, charming, romantic, fascinating and nostalgic about old school R&B music. I am sure most of us will agree with that statement.
Many of us can relate to tuning into the “Hippest Trip in America” more than 30 years ago to a TV show called “Soul Train”. They had the best artists and groups of all time.
Many of you can relate to getting up Saturday mornings in America and starting “them chores” early so that you could be ready to dance or sing with your brother, sister, friend or broom to the best music show on TV. Of course, we can’t forget the coolest and sophisticated host of the show, the legendary Don Cornelius whose favorite signoff was “We wish you Love, Peace, and Soul.
All of that old school R&B music puts a lot of us in a good place. Especially if you were a teenager like I was and doing the dating thing with the love of your life. There”s something about the good old-school R&B sound that would ” Make You Want to Holler” or if he said ” Baby I’m for Real” or “I Do Love You”. Takes you back, doesn’t it?
The BackBeat R&B team has put together 10 of the greatest old school songs that will take you back in the day and make you feel tingly inside and out. Of course, there are so many more but too many to name.
1. SAM COOKE-“CUPID” What a great individual artist. One of the best in his genre and any genre of all time.
2. STYLISTICS- “YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW ” I always say real music and real talent.
3.THE DELFONICS- “DIDN’T I BLOW YOUR MIND” This is back when the singers and musicians had that raw talent.
4. JAMES BROWN- “THE PAYBACK” I miss the God Father of Soul, that was when music was music.
5. THE ORIGINALS- “BABY I’M FOR REAL” This was one of the greatest R&B songs written by Marvin Gaye.
6. FRIENDS OF DISTINCTION- “GRAZING IN THE GRASS” This song just makes you want to get up and dance.
7. THE DELLS- “THE LOVE WE HAD STAYS ON MY MIND” The Dells were a soulful group, Marvin Junior is so missed!
8. THE TEMPTATIONS- “TREAT HER LIKE A LADY” I truly miss this kind of music, the “Temptations” are forever.
9. THE CHI-LITES- “HAVE YOU SEEN HER” Beautiful harmonies sung by such gentlemen!
10. THE DRAMATIC- “FELL FOR YOU” This is what real love songs sound like, nothing but pure soul.